Honors and Awards
Gamma Sigma Delta Honor Society
Phi Kapa Phi Honor Society
Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society
My research program focuses on improving controlled environment agriculture in the southeast. Specific topics of interest include plant nutrition in hydroponic and aqauponic systems, temperature optimization in controlled environments, and improved production techniques for greenhouses and indoor farms.
Recent Courses Taught
HORT 2060 – Hydroponics: Principles and Techniques of Soilless Plant Production
HORT 7050 – Nutritional Requirements of Horticultural Plants
HORT 2043 – Organic Gardening
Select Publications 2019
- Holmes, S.C., Wells, D.E., Pickens, J.M., and J.M. Kemble. 2019. Heat tolerance of Lactuca sativa L. cultivars grown hydroponically and consumer sensory evaluation of heat-tolerant hydroponic lettuce. Horticulturae 5(3). http://doi.org/10.3390/horticulturae5030050.
- Warren, T.J., Wells, D.E., Sibley, J.L., Foshee, III, W.G., Williams, J.D., Browne, C., and J. Burkett. 2019. Pecan cultivar nut and foliar quality in low and high input orchards in Alabama. Intl. J. Fruit Sci. (accepted for publication).
- Brown, B.W., Sibley J.L., Wells, D.E., Torbert, H.A., Watts, D.B., Foshee, III, W.G., and D.J. Eakes. 2019. Evaluation of flue gas desulfurization gypsum stability in soilless substrates under typical greenhouse irrigation practices. HortTechnology (accepted for publication).
- Warren, T.J., Wells, D.E., Sibley, J.L., Foshee, III, W.G., and J.D. Williams. 2019. Fatty acids analysis of selected pecan cultivars. HortScience (accepted for publication).
- Polozola, M.F., Wells, D.E., Kessler, J.R., Foshee, W.G., Wright, A.N., and B. Wilkins. 2019. Long-term response to phosphorus banding in irrigated and non-irrigated pecan production. HortScience 54:1237-1242 https://doi.org/10.21273/HORTSCI13662-18.
Select Publications 2018
- Bock, C.H., Hotchkiss, M.W., Shapiro-Ilan, D.I., Brock, J.H., Brenneman, T.B., Wilkins, B., Wells, D.E., Wells, L., and R.F. Mizell. 2018. A comparison of organic fungicides: alternatives for reducing scab on pecan. Org. Agr. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13165-018-0229-7.
- Hand, L.C., Foshee III, W.G., Monday, T.A., Wells, D.E., and D.P. Delaney. 2018. Preemergence herbicides applied pre- and post-crimp in a rye cover crop system for control of escape weeds in watermelon. HortTechnology 28:117-120.
- Paul, C.J., Robinson, C.W., Kessler, J.R., Wells, D.E., Sibley, J.L., Torbert, H.A., and D.B Watts. 2018. Evaluation of flue-gas desulfurization gypsum in poultry litter as a substrate component for greenhouse horticultural crops. Agricultural Research & Technology Open Access J. 13(3):1-12. https://doi.org/10.19080/ARTOAJ.2018.13.555886.
Select Publications 2017
- Wells, D.E., Beasley, J.S., Bush, E.W. and L.A. Gaston. 2017. Poultry litter ash rate and placement affect phosphorus dissolution in a horticultural substrate. J. Environ. Hort. 35(3):117-127.
- Wells, D.E., Beasley, J.S., Gaston, L.A., Bush, E.W and M.E. Thiessen. 2017. Reduction of phosphorus losses during greenhouse crop production through usage of poultry litter ash as a phosphorus source. HortScience 52:592-597.