2018 Horticulture Study Tour to The Netherlands
This year the Henry P. Orr Endowment Fund will be sponsoring 4 to 6 undergraduate students for a trip to tour gardens and horticultural operations in the Netherlands. The Netherlands is the number one exporter in the world for live trees, plants, bulbs, roots and cut flowers. The top public gardens include Keukenhof, Paleis Het Loo, Kasteeltuinen Arcen, and Hortus Botanicus among others. The trip will begin on or around May 8, 2018 and will last for 7 to 8 days. The details of departure and return are still being determined.
Students will be accompanied by at least one Horticulture faculty member. The Orr Endowment fund will cover costs associated with air and ground transportation, tours of gardens and facilities, and lodging and meals, with the exception of $500 to be paid in advance by each student. Costs for souvenirs and incidentals will be the responsibility of the student.
Students selected to participate in this trip are chosen through a competitive process that involves application and an interview of potential candidates. In order to be considered for selection, the student must meet the following criteria:
• Horticulture major, sophomore level or above, not graduating before December 2018.
• Minimum GPA of 3.0 in Horticulture major courses.
• Participation in extra-curricular activities is desired, Horticulture related activities preferred.
If you are interested in being considered for this opportunity, please submit the following to Ms.
Nancy Heard (Funchess 119) by Friday, January 19, 2018 at 4pm:
• Impact Statement – how this trip will benefit you and why you should be selected
• Names of two faculty references from within the horticulture department.
After the review of all applications, the top candidates will be called for an interview with the selection committee. Selection will be made based on interview, GPA, extracurricular activities, and faculty recommendations solicited by the committee.
Students selected to participate in this trip will be expected to:
• Maintain a diary of the trip.
• Participate in the preparation and presentation of a PowerPoint seminar to Horticulture Department faculty, staff, and students about the trip during Fall 2018 semester.
• Participate in group presentations after the trip to promote the Orr Endowment.