|Ph.D., The University of Georgia, 1989
|M.S., Mississippi State University, 1980
|B.S., Auburn University, 1978
|Professor — Auburn University, 2008-present
|Associate Professor — Auburn University, 2000-2008
|Assistant Professor — Auburn University, 1995-2000
|Master Grower — Heartland Growers, Inc., 1993-1995
|Research Associate — Iowa State University, 1990-1993
Honor and awards
|The Ulysses P. Hedrick Award for outstanding journal article, The American Pomological Society, 2016, 2017, and 2018.
|American Society for Horticultural Science
Areas of research include plant growth control of bedding plants and herbaceous perennials including work with photoperiod, vernalization, and plant growth retardants.
|HORT 5220/6220 Greenhouse Management Science
|HORT4250 Intermediate Fruit & Vegetable Production
|HORT 4100 Herbaceous Ornamental Plants
|HORT 7010 Experimental Methods in Horticulture
- Spiers, J., A. Brantley, A. Thompson, J. Pitts, J. Kessler3, Jr, A. Wright, and E. Coneva. 2019. Effective Pollination Period of Actinidia chinensis ‘AU Golden Sunshine’ and Actinidia deliciosa ‘AU Fitzgerald’. HortScience.
- Vinson, E., E. Coneva, J. Kemble, F. Woods, J. Sibley, E. Fonsah, P. Perkins-Veazie, and J. Kessler, Jr.3 2018. Prediction of flower emergence and evaluation of cropping potential in selected banana cultivars (Musa sp.) Cultivated in subtropical conditions of coastal Alabama. HortScience 53:1634-1639.
- Hoppers, A.A., J.D. Spiers, J.R. Kessler2, A.N. Wright, and A.A. Powell. 2018. Root distribution of ‘Brightwell’ and ‘Premier’ rabbiteye blueberries as influenced by pecan shell mulch. J. Amer. Pomological Soc. 72(2)101-112.
- Newby, A.F., J.E. Altland, D.K. Struve, C.C. Pasian, P.P. Ling, P.S. Jourdan, J.R. Kessler3, and M. Carpenter. 2018. Integrating moisture characteristic curves with gravimetric data in the management of substrate moisture content for annual vinca. HortScience 53:1197-1202.
- Y. Chen, J.R. Kessler, Jr1, G.J. Keever, and G.B. Fain. 2018. Effects of growing season, plant stage of development, and substrate drench applications of Paclobutrazol as compared to a Daminozide standard on growth and flowering of Gerbera Daisy ‘Bright Red with Light Eye’. J. Environ. Hort. 36(2):66-72.
- Li, M., J.R. Kessler, Jr., G.J. Keever, and W.G. Foshee III. 2016. Pinching, daminozide and night-interrupted lighting start date affect growth and flowering of Achillea ×‘Coronation Gold’. J. Environ. Hort. 34(1):13–18.
- Li, M., J.R. Kessler, Jr., G.J. Keever, and W.G. Foshee, III. 2015. Bulking duration and daminozide affect growth and flowering of Achillea ×‘Coronation Gold’. J. Environ. Hort. 33(2):84-88.
- Keever, Gary J., J. Raymond Kessler, Jr., Glenn B. Fain, and David C. Mitchell. 2015. Seedling developmental stage at transplanting affects growth and flowering of medallion flower and globe amaranth. J. Environ. Hort. 33(2):53-57.
- Keever, Gary J., J. Raymond Kessler, Jr., L. Heath Hoffman, and James C. Stephenson. 2015. Dikegulac sodium concentration and application number affects branching of Blackgum and Southern Sugar Maple during container production. J. Environ. Hort. 33(1):15-19.