|Ph.D. Auburn University|
|M.S. Auburn University|
|B.S. Auburn University|
Southern Nursery Association
International Plant Propagators Society
National Greenhouse Manufacturers Association
Alabama Fruit and Vegetable Growers Association
Southern Christmas Tree Association
American Society for Horticulture Science
Entomological Society of America
Alabama Association of County Agricultural Agents and Specialist
National Association of County Agricultural Agents
-Irrigation efficiency in container nurseries
-Root-zone temperature in conainer nursery production
-Application efficiency of granular preemergent herbicides
-Greenhouse cooling efficiency
-Plant nutrition and nutrient use effeciency
-Pest management in container nurseries
-Christmas tree production
Extension programing is the major driver behind many of my research projects. My position provides opportunities to work closely with growers and Extension agents across the state. While my primary responsibilities revolve around ornamental production, I also work variety of specialty crops including Christmas trees and greenhouse vegetables.
Some of my current Extension projects include:
-Developing an E-book curriculum for small to medium scale greenhouse vegetable production
-Improving herbicide application effeciency for container nursery production
-Updating Christmas tree fertilization and lime recommendations for Alabama
-Building a case for improving irrigation effeciency in container nurseries
Please write to me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you wold like to recieve our newsletter “Nursery Notes.”
- Pickens, J.M. and L.C. Graham. 2019. Fire Ant Quarantine Compliance for Container Nurseries. ACES, ANR_2557.
- Pickens, J.M., L.C. Graham and K.R. Palmer 2019. Managing Tawny Crazy Ants in Plant Nurseries. ACES, ANR-2640.
- Held, D., and J.M. Pickens. 2018. Borer Pests of Woody Ornamental Plants. ACES, ANR-2472.
- Held, D., and J.M. Pickens. 2018. Thrips: Pests of Ornamental Plants. ACES, ANR- 2500
- Pickens, J.M., D. Wells, and J. Danaher. 2017. Vegetable Transplants in Aquaponic Systems. Southern Regional Aquaculture Center. Pub. No. 5011.
- A.M. Murphy, S.A. Prior, G.B. Runion, H.A. Torbert, J.L. Sibley, G.B. Fain, and J.M. Pickens. 2019. Greenhouse gas emissions as impacted by high wood fiber substrate in the production of three annual crops. Proc. SNA Res. Conf. 63:51-56.
- Pickens, J.M., K.N. Conner, and J.W. Olive. 2019. Research update on bacterial gall of Loropetalum. Proc. SNA Res. Conf.63:110-114.
- Pickens, J.M., R.J. Kessler, and D.E. Wells. 2019. Evaluation of shade cloth color in cooling efficiency. Proc. SNA Res. Conf. 175-178.
- Witcher, A.L. and J.M. Pickens. 2019. Effects of compost substrates on root zone temperature and growth of arborvitae. Proc. SNA Res. Conf. 63:44-50.
- Pickens, J.M., and J.W. Olive. 2019. Effects of lime and fertilizer rate on the growth of citrus rootstock, Poncirus trifoliate var. monstrosa ‘Flying Dragon.’ Proc. SNA Res. Conf. 63:37-43.
- D. Held, J.M. Pickens, and K. Owsley. 2019. Time of day influences performance of spinosad against Chilli thrips. Proc. SNA Res. Conf. 63:193-197.
- Brown B.W., J.L. Sibley, J.M. Pickens and H.A. Torbert. 2018. Results using flue gas desulfurization gypsum in soilless substrates for greenhouse crops. Proc. SNA Res. Conf. 62:26-28.
- Sydney C. Holmes, Daniel E. Wells *, Jeremy M. Pickens, Joseph M. Kemble. 2019. Heat tolerance and sensory evaluation of Lactuca sativa L. cultivars growing in deep water culture. Horticulturae Horticulturae 5:50
- Sibley, J.L. X. Yang, W. Lu, D.J. Eakes, C.H. Gilliam, W.G. Foshee, J.M.
Pickens and B. Zinner. 2018 Effects of a nonionic surfactant on growth, photosynthesis, and transpiration of New Guinea impatiens in the greenhouse. J. Environ. Hort. 36(2) 73-81.
- Sibley, J.L. X. Yang, W. Lu, D.J. Eakes, C.H. Gilliam, W.G. Foshee, B. Zinner.and J.M. Pickens. 2018. ‘Effects and Cost Estimation of an Irrigation Applied Surfactant in Greenhouse Crop Production. Food Studies.
- Beauchamp, W.R., J.M. Pickens. J.L. Sibley, J.A. Chappell, N.R. Martin, A.F.
Newby, and. 2017. Response of bibb lettuce to salt additives in integrated aquaponic systems. Inter. J. Veg. Sci. https://doi.org/10.1080/19315260.2017.1378787