2016 Horticulture Study Tour to Pacific Northwest and Canada
This year the Henry P. Orr Endowment Fund will be sponsoring undergraduate students for a trip to tour gardens and horticultural operations in the Pacific Northwest and Canada. The trip will feature beautiful gardens, horticultural enterprises, geography, and of course the culture. The trip will be from May 8-19, 2016. The exact details of departure and return are still being decided.
Students will be accompanied by at least two Horticulture faculty members. The Orr Endowment fund will cover costs associated with air and ground transportation, tours of gardens and facilities, and lodging and meals, with the exception of $500 to be paid in advance by each student that is selected. Costs for souvenirs and incidentals will be the responsibility of the student.
Students selected to participate in this trip are chosen through a competitive process that involves application and an interview of potential candidates. In order to be considered for selection, the student must meet the following criteria:
- Horticulture major, sophomore level or above, not graduating before December 2016
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 in Horticulture major courses
- Participation in extra-curricular activities is desired
If you are interested in being considered for this opportunity, please submit the following via the form at the bottom of this page or to Ms. Nancy Heard (Funchess 119) by Friday, March 4, 2016:
- Impact Statement – how this trip will benefit you and why you should be selected
- Names of two faculty references from within the Department of Horticulture
After the review of all applications, the top candidates will be called for an interview with the selection committee. Selections will be made based on interview, GPA, extracurricular activities, and faculty recommendations solicited by the committee.
Students selected to participate in this trip will be expected to:
• Maintain a diary of the trip, including photographs
• Participate in the preparation and presentation of a seminar to Department of Horticulture faculty, staff, and students about the trip during Fall 2016 semester
• Participate in group presentations after the trip to promote the Orr Endowment
For questions about the program, please contact Drs. Eakes, Robinson, or Williams.