International Plant Propagators Society
International Society of Horticultural Science
Southern Nursery Association
Alabama Nursery Association
Investigating the use of forest-based biomasses for use as alternative growth substrtates for production of container-grown greenhouse and nursery crops.
Recent Courses Taught
HORT 2040 Organic Gardening
HORT 2043 Organic Gardening (Distance)
HORT 2240 Plant Propagation
HORT 3280 Landscape Construction
HORT 3920 Internship
HORT 5150 Retail Garden Center Management
HORT 5210 Landscape Bidding
- Heilsnis, B.J.*, G.B. Fain, J.R. Kessler and D.E. Wells. 2018. Pre-plant nitrogen rates in alternative substrates affects production of Impatiens ×walleriana. Intl. Plant Prop. Soc. 68:(in press).
- Krofft, C.E., A.F. Newby, J.M. Pickens, and G.B. Fain. 2018. An on-site analysis of irrigation management practices in four container nurseries in Alabama. Intl. Plant Prop. Soc. 68:(in press).
- Y. Chen, J.R. Kessler, Jr, G.J. Keever, and G.B. Fain. 2018. Effects of growing season, plant stage of development, and substrate drench applications of paclobutrazol as compared to a daminozide standard on growth and flowering of gerbera daisy ‘Bright Red with Light Eye’. J. Environ. Hort. 36:66–72.
- Marble, S.C., S.A. Prior, G.B. Runion, H.A. Torbert, C.H. Gilliam, G.B. Fain, J.L. Sibley, and P.R. Knight. 2016. Species and media effect on soil carbon dynamics in the landscape. Scientific Reports 6:25210 http://doi.org/10.1038/srep25210.
- Vandiver, T.A., G.B. Fain, A.M. Murphy, C.H. Gilliam, and J.L. Sibley. 2015. Distilled eastern red cedar (Juniperus virginiana L.) as an alternative substrate in the production of greenhouse-grown annuals. J. Environ. Hort. 33:166-172.
- Keever, G.J., J.R. Kessler, Jr., G.B. Fain, and D.C. Mitchell. 2015. Seedling developmental stage at transplanting affects growth and flowering of medallion flower and globe amaranth. J. Environ. Hort. 33:53-57.
- Witcher, A.L., E.K. Blythe, G.B. Fain, and K.J. Curry. 2015. Suitability of whole pine tree substrates for seed propagation. J. Environ. Hort. 33:20-28.
- Edwards, L.E., A.F. Newby, C.H. Gilliam, G.B. Fain, J.L. Sibley, and A.M. Murphy. 2014. Evaluation of eastern redcedar substrate in the production of four annual species. J. Environ. Hort. 32:167-173.
- Witcher, A.L., E.K. Blythe, G.B. Fain, and K.J. Curry. 2014. Stem cutting propagation in whole pine tree substrates. HortTechnology 24:30-37.
- Boyer, C.R., T.V. Gallagher, C.H. Gilliam, G.B. Fain, H.A. Torbert, and J.L. Sibley. 2012. Description of clean chip residual forest harvest and its availability for horticultural uses in the southeastern United States. HortTechnology 22:381-387.
- Boyer, C.R., H.A. Torbert, C.H. Gilliam, G.B. Fain, T.V. Gallagher and J.L. Sibley. 2012. Nitrogen immobilization in plant growth substrates: Clean chip residual, pine bark and peatmoss. Intl. J. Agron. http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ija/2012/978528/
- Marble, S.C.*, G.B. Fain, S.A. Prior, G.B. Runion, H.A. Torbert, C.G. Gilliam, and J.L. Sibley, and P.R. Knight. 2012. Landscape establishment of woody ornamentals grown in alternative wood-based substrates. J. Environ. Hort. 30:13-16.